For those of you unfamiliar with this, Paige M. Gutenborg is a book-making machine. Although I wasn’t present at the unveiling, I made sure to pack my camera when I stopped by a few days later. Here are some details from the webpage:
- Prints books from a growing catalog of 3.6 million books, including titles from Google digital files and public domain databases—along with previously inaccessible works.
- Creates a library-quality, perfect bound, acid-free 300-page paperback book in roughly four minutes. These books are indistinguishable from paperbacks produced by major publishing houses.
- Represents a revolution in the book world, allowing readers to get their books in a manner that is fast, local, green, and affordable.
- Can print your book and we can deliver it locally—same- or next day! We also deliver domestically and internationally.
- Provides authors with affordable, flexible printing options. There are no minimums, and you retain full rights and complete control of your work.
- Looks forward to printing your novel, personal cookbook, family genealogy, memoir, dissertation, personalized gift, and more.
Here are just a few more gratuitous pictures and examples.
Basically, Paige runs on a hugeeeeeee printer.And there’s clear casing around the portion that actually holds the printouts and binds the book so you can watch!
Some printed books! Notice the chadding on the edges from the cutter… but overall it’s pretty professional. A little ruddy/used-book looking but pretty good for 4 minutes.
And that’s all folks!