Booklish Recipe #01: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz Lemon Brick Cake
(back to introductory post)
Yellow Lemon Cake
- 1 1/2 cup (3 sticks) softened unsalted butter
- 8 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cups cake flour
- 2 1/4 cup white sugar
- 3 tsp lemon extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 3/4 cup milk
- 50 drops yellow food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease two 8″x8″ cake pans.
- In one bowl, mix together dry ingredients (salt, baking powder, flour).
- In another bowl, cream together sugar and butter until fluffy.
- Mix in eggs one at a time.
- Alternatively stir in dry flour mixture and milk until smooth.
- Mix in food coloring.
- Pour half of the batter into each pan. Make sure to raise the cake batter up on each edge so that the cake rises evenly.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Inner Lemon “Mortar” Icing
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 10 drops yellow food coloring
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 8 cups powdered sugar
- 6 tbs milk
- Using an electric mixer, beat together butter, milk and powdered sugar, one cup at a time.
- Mix in lemon extract and food coloring.
- Store in refrigerator.
Outer Whipped Lime Icing
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp lime extract
- Beat together whipping cream, sugar, and lime extract until fluffy.
- Store in refrigerator.
Hard Emerald Lime Candy Topping
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup white sugar
- 4 drops green food coloring
- 5 tsp lime extract
- Grease one cookie sheet.
- Mix corn syrup, water, and sugar in a medium saucepan.
- Stir constantly over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- Stop stirring. Turn the heat to high, and using a candy thermometer, let the mixture boil until the liquid reaches 300-310 F. You can also determine whether it’s done by dropping some of the mixture into cold water and seeing if it turns into hard threads.
- Turn the heat off. Immediately stir in food coloring and lime extract until even.
- Pour onto the cookie sheet and store in freezer for fastest cooling.
- 4 tbs poppy seeds
- Allow lemon cake to cool. Cut the two cakes horizontally into four .75″ slabs.
- Divide each slab into four even strips.
- Beginning with the bottom layer, place two strips side by side and fill the gap with lemon icing. Additionally, spread icing over the entire top surface of the layer.
- For the next layer, divide one strip into two even strips, and place on top of the bottom layer, staggering to mimic brick layering. Fill in the gaps.
- Continue steps 3 and 4 until desired height has been reached.
- Ice the entire outside of the cake with the whipped lime icing.
- Break the lime candy into shards by dropping onto a hard surface. Sprinkle over top of cake.
- Shake some poppy seeds over the sides.
- Enjoy! Cake should be stored in refrigerator if not eaten immediately.